Tuesday, October 21, 2008

getting my groove back

I didn’t have to fly all the way to Jamaica to get my groove back. Let me back up. I’ve been sticking my toe in the kiddie pool of painting for a year now. Holding myself back afraid of, who the hell knows. I’ve bought canvases, paints and been sketching and doing a painting every 4 months or so. Then I started to surround myself with artists and been talking to them and just about everyone about painting and stuff. After a brief but encouraging conversation with an oh so naturally talented brother, I’ve finally got my groove back! Now everything I see is a painting waiting to happen. I’m just doing what feels right, so to speak, with me and laying it on canvas. And I must say, it feels good. Any artist can tell you that once you get into your zone of creativity, you almost become possessed. You eat sleep breathe whatever project your working on. I’m skirting my zone, but when I get there, it is so nice. My escape from the madness.

In my zone there are no cell phones, no text messages, no emails, no place to be, no people to please. There is just me and my creativity and my product. Just me and my art. My art lets me do whatever I want with no judgments. My art doesn’t criticize me, not like the criticism I give to myself. My art has no expectations, except to be completed. My art doesn’t care that I make mistakes, and it gives me plenty of chances to fix them. My art believes in me so much more than I ever could believe in myself. I’m starting to think my art is my great love….

I’ve neglected my art for far too long, but it was still there when I came back. It didn’t try to make me feel guilty for being away so long; in fact, it showed me that I’m even better than I was before I left. Dang, I’m so happy that I have my art and my groove back!


*above is a painting by my all time favorite artist. I could blog heavy about my love for Salvidor Dali. This is called Impressions of Africa- Salvidor Dali

2 comments:

Naturally Alise said...

Yes! Art to us is like the kind of friends we love: "not needy"... art does sometimes call you in the middle of the night out of a good sleep though... lol

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can teach you a few pointers about painting. We need to really hang out! I'll bring the paint, canvas, brushes, pork rinds and grape kool aid. You bring yourself and a open mind.