Tuesday, February 10, 2009

New Painting Experience




I have a new painting taking form in my head. I watched the movie Frida over the weekend and was so inspired. I never knew much about her, other than that she was Mexican and had a fierce unibrow. After watching Salma Hayek make Frida come to life, I found a new appreciation for the artist. Her paintings were so raw and real, she didn’t hide behind niceties or art school propaganda, she painted it as she saw it. I love that kind free spirit!!! Ms. Kahlo suffered from an injury that left her bedridden and then in apin most of her life. She painted her pain and loneliness through a series of self portraits.

So I thought it would be neat to do a self portrait (I’ve done a few before because I have no one to model for me), and portray what I’m feeling. This led me to do some sketches and to really think about what I wanted to convey. I found out something that kinda…opened my eyes about what I value most.

I’ll keep you posted, with pictures, on how this work turns out.

Well come to this painter’s chronicled painting experience!!!
















The Love embrace of the Universe, the Earth (Mexico), Me, and SeƱor Xolotl by Frida Kahlo 1949

A Mexican ying yang -- living between night and day, water and desert, enveloped by the Indian mother and universe.
Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo

1 comment:

ODARA said...

I can't wait to see your sketches! I also do art but I've been lacking the inspiration needed to fully get back into it. I remember one of my professors in school had us watch Frida and I agree she was very free spirited, comical & her story is quite inspiring...

Self Portraits are definitely unique...have fun & make sure you show us what you come up with! :o)