Friday, January 4, 2008

How many Huckabees does it take to screw in a light bulb?

The Iowa caucus has come and gone, leaving us with two distinct front runners. Some food for thought, some material to blog about, and some research to occupy my time at work. The Iowa people have spoken, and they said Obama and Huckabee.
So who the heck is Mike Huckabee?
Let me just put this disclaimer out there; I hate politics, and am not up on what offices these talking heads hold. I’m also not that religious savvy either, don’t know the proper titles for those talking heads either. So my descriptions will be vague, but I’m trying to show respect.

Back to Huckabee. He’s a Republican conservative from Arkansas. He has done some good things as far as education reform, tax cuts, and unemployment is concerned in his home state. He is also pro-life and anti-gay marriage. I guess we can’t have it all (or can we?????) His religious background doesn’t bother me, nor does his beliefs about marriage and abortion, in fact Huckabee doesn’t bother me. Now that’s a surprise. I’ll be keeping an eye on this guy, and doing more research. His caucus speech didn’t do much for me though, all and all, he’s your average bible belt politician, who talks a good game, and may be able to produce, but I’m not sure how well he’ll do across the country. Because believe it or not, outside of the south, they don’t beat bibles, they exercise free thought and they actually DON’T like to be told who they can marry and what they can do with their bodies. I believe the people are more concerned about worldly things, such as the war ending, universal healthcare, education, energy independence, and what the hell is going to happen to my damn social security. Ok those are my main concerns, and I’m looking for the candidate that can address them the best, and I don’t care about what color, sex, or religion they are.

I’d also like to give props to Barack. Every time that man speaks he sends shivers up and down my spine. Even reading the transcript of his caucus speech had me jumping up and down inside. Obama makes me want to learn more about politics. Now that’s powerful…

No comments: